For anyone walking the Shikoku Pilgrimage, the “Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide 2023” is an indispensable travel companion.
The Shikoku Pilgrimage Guide - in English
The pilgrimage guide has been updated by Naoyuki Matsushita and its eighth edition was published in February 2023.
As a handy paperback (width 13 cm; height 18 cm; book thickness 1 cm), with 192 pages and a backpack-suitable weight of 250 grams.
With compact information on all 88 temples and information on pilgrimage equipment, temple etiquette, railway connections on Shikoku and other topics. More than 150 pages with detailed maps of the total 1,150 km. All routes to the 88 temples and to the 20 secondary temples (bekkaku) are described. Including distances, altitude and alternative routes. Extremely helpful for planning the daily stages on site.
With location information and telephone numbers for accommodation (minshuku, ryokan, business hotels, etc.). Restaurants, convenience stores, rest stops and much more are also indicated.
The Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide costs 1,980 yen (15 USD) in Japan. Available at Tokushima Station’s souvenir shop or at Temple 1 Ryōzen-ji, among other places.
The title is also available from some online booksellers outside Japan.
Look inside the book
Elevation profile of the Shikoku Pilgrimage Route
Many thanks to Matsushita-san, the author of the “Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide 2023” for providing the view into the book files and the elevation profile.
Further information at: henro88map.com
Contents - Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide
- Table of contents: 1 page
- Legend: 3 pages
- Index map: 8 pages
- Elevation and distance map: 2 pages
- Kūkai (Kōbō Daishi): 2 pages
- Useful information: 5 pages
- Proper etiquette at a temple: 2 pages
- Oaths and precepts: 1 page
- Basic information on Buddhist statues: 3 pages
- Pilgrim attire and other items: 2 pages
- Access: 4 pages
- Guide maps: 154 pages
- Guide maps (Mt. Kōya): 2 pages
- Practical phrases: 2 pages
- List of public information sources: 1 page
- Hiking and outdoor shops: 1 page